Tega Cay is a planned city in York County and in Polynesian it means "beautiful lagoon."
In fact, many streets were named for islands such as Molokai, Palmyra, Mai Kai and Marquesas and the original homes were built with mostly Polynesian-style rooflines.
In 1904 electricity first flowed from the old Catawba River in York County. The construction of the dam and creation of Lake Wylie led to the birth of Tega Cay, located on a peninsula on the east side of the lake.
The first homeowners in Tega Cay were provided with many services such as lawn care and daycare for a minimal HOA fee. Potential homeowners were driven by jeep to view the home sites available and a riverboat, the Conticki, was constructed to tour prospects and business groups around the peninsula by water. Unfortunately, the $15- $35 fee did not support the services promised and the developer filed bankruptcy. Finally, a purchase was negotiated between the bank and the new owner, Tega Cay Associates. Tega Cay residents joined forces with the new owners and in 1982, Tega Cay became a city. This occasion is celebrated every year on the 4th of July.
website: City of Tega Cay