This town was named for Smyrna Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, organized ca. 1842. An academy was established here by 1870, and in 1888 the Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad completed its line here. Four years later the post office was established. The town was incorporated in 1895, its limits extending one-half mile in every direction from the railroad depot.
Incorporated in 1895, the town of Smyrna took its name from of the Smyrna Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church that had been providing a place of worship to the local residents for half a century. In 1888, a railroad depot was built by Southern Railway, and a mercantile business, grocery store, drug store, and dry goods store soon followed. Not long after, the Smyrna High School, a telegraph office, and a post office were opened. The population was on a rise in Smyrna until the "West Road" to York was completed in 1924.
Many families left Smyrna to live in a larger town. As a result, the railroad depot was closed down, and all that remained of Smyrna were three businesses and the post office.
Today only the post office remains. It is considered the smallest town in South Carolina.