The town officially began around the site of a 5,000-gallon water tank constructed to serve the steam engines of the Chester and Lenoir Railroad Narrow Gauge Railroad.
According to a legend, excess water spilling on the ground caused patches of clover to spring up. Residents affectionately referred to the town as Clover Patch.
The Town was chartered on December 24, 1887. Clover became a booming textile community. Textiles continue to play a part of the community's economy. The town has since grown steadily, reaching a population of 5,094 in 2010.
website: Town of Clover